Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The bounty of fall

The morning had started off chilly, but by early afternoon the sun was warm as I lay on the trampoline while my two youngest sprights circled me.  The light was golden, as only the light of fall can be, laced by the early yellows and oranges of fall leaves waving in the cool northern breezes.

We gathered handfuls and armfuls of leaves and through them into the golden air so that they could rain down on us as we bounced and ran around the trampoline.  I giggled with them as they ran and slipped in the leaves and fell into each other and me.

I wanted a picture of it - maybe to post on Facebook? - but there was no way to capture the beauty and glory of that moment in one photo, or ten, or even a video - and I didn't want to leave to get a camera - so I sent up a prayer that I would remember that moment forever - their smallness, their innocence, the light, the leaves, the giggles, the gratitude.  I'm not sure how I got so lucky, but I hope I can remember these small moments in twenty years and be just as satisfied with where I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment